PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, August 28, 2011

2008 Masciarelli Montepulciano D'abruzzo (Italy)



I don't often drink Montepulciano D'abruzzo, but everytime I do I tend to enjoy it. I find it combines lovely juicy fruit with with just a nice bit of rusticity, and so it is with this wine.

An expressive nose of red fruits and a nice touch of leather. To drink it's medium bodied, and went well with a mushroom pasta dish. Bright red fruits are joined by earth, a bit of funk, and some tobacco. There's a lovely sour cherry finish to. Altogether a very satisfying and enjoyable drink.

Rated:


RRP: $25
ABV: 13.5%
Website: http://www.masciarelli.it/


Red

3 comments:

Chris Plummer said...

Slick new look lads! I almost feel like I'm getting left behind now ;)

I must agree with the first line here. I opened a bottle of Illuminati's 2009 Riparosso the other night, which for under $15, was brilliant. As you adhere to here, it was very ripe and juicy up front - almost Australian like - but its back palate was earthy, funky, somewhat tobacco-like and essentially feral. For the price it was certainly full of interest.

Cheers,
Chris P

Red said...

Thanks Chris. We've still got a few teething problems with the layout but we will hopefully get this fixed in the next couple of days.

Keen to try the Illuminati. I reckon Montepulciano D'abruzzo is alsmot the perfect wine with which to introduce someone to they joys of Italian wine

Anonymous said...

you are about $15 too high on the bottle price

 
Blog Design by: Designer Blogs